Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't PING Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoG7

Technical User
Jan 1, 2002
US
Hi. I have 2 win 98' comps, connected to a common hub. COMP1 has Internet connection via DirecPC (dial-up version). COMP1 also has AnalogX Proxy, which in turn gives Internet access to COMP2. Both computers have internet access and can see each other on the network. But I can only ping the Internet from COMP1 not COMP2. I have changed the ip settings on COMP2 in every possible way. I've changed ip-addr, gateway, everything. The reason I want to "ping the Internet" is to ftp to my work server. (I have already checked ftp settings on Internet options and on proxy).

I would think that this is because the second PC is going through the proxy program! It's doesn't have to allow ICMP, although you may be able to enable this!

Have you tried FTP on the second PC yet! You don't need to be able to ping the FTP server to FTP to it!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Yes, I already verified that ftp does not work on COMP2.

Based on my Linksys combo switch and router

I finally got the router to ping out. It was being caused by ZoneAlarm and a setting in the Filter to disable the block "Wan Request"

Even though ZoneAlarm was turned off, apparantly some parts of the MinLog and True Vector interfere.

Orlando,

I use AnalogX also. Make sure you have the latest version <4.10>. There were some ftp issues w/ earlier releases. Also, you'll have to use a ftp client, you can't ftp through a browser w/ analogx. Try cuteFTP

Anolog X is version 4.10. I don't have zone alarm. For ftp I use the command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back