Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant ping by name but can by IP on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a windows xp pro machine on which when I ping a computer (computer A) by name it times out.

Now, i know computer As IP address so when i ping this it replies no probs. The only thing is, when I am trying to ping by name and it says, in the command prompt:

Pinging computer A [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data

end of message:

Pinging computer A [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data

the ip address [x.x.x.x] shown here is different than what computer As address really is

Ant ideas anyone?

If you have a local dns server, the name probably refers to some other ip-address.

if i remove the computer from the network and put it back on would this solve the probs?

no, as that would not change the DNS or WINS entry which is showing the wrong IP address.

You need to fix the error in the DNS or WINS server.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

This is the only computer it is happening on though - the rest see Computer As IP address as what it is when they try to ping by name

Have you tried IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS on that one PC?

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

yeah have tried that already. No other computers are experiencing this so am really confused. Another thing - I can still print to computer As shared printer when add it using Computer As computer name

What about a problem with the hosts file?

Any errors in the event log?

hosts will be located in

%system%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

No errors in the event log and nothing strange in the hosts file, just the examples:

102.54.94.97 Rhino.acme.com
38.25.63.10 x.acme.com

127.0.0.1 localhost

Clutching at straws a bit but what about the LMHOSTS file you'll find it in the same location as the HOSTS file.

This does point to a problem with either WINS or DNS resolution. I suggest that you look at the DNS table and see if the server has been allocated a different IP address. I would also sugges that you check the netowrk settings on the computer to ensure that it is pointing at the correct WINS and DNS server. I have seen problems like this when a server is either not configure with WINS and DNS, or it is wrongly addressed in the DNS table. This has been pointed out in several previous posts.

This fault is a common dns/dhcp error. The fault lies here and is hitting that one single unit. Check fault logs (I know you said you had but double-check) and then check DNS/DHCP settings. The fault lies here somewhere.

Do you have any static IPs on your network? This could be causing a conflict unless reflected in DHCP. Simple solution is to reserve the address.

Check for BAD_ADDRESS links in DHCP and clear these. Check scope and remaining addresses.

OK,

I have just looked in DNS and have found something that could relate to the problem.

In the Forward Lookup Zones Computer As ip address is listed as having IP address x.x.x.38 although it is really x.x.x.132

This is the same in Reverse Lookup Zones

It is also the same for alot of other computers on the network whose IP addresses are actually different than what is listed in the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones.

Now, if i right-click on the entry just below Reverse Lookup Zones on the left hand pane there is an option to reload. I didnt want to choose it as wasnt sure what it did (although thought it would reload the machines with correct ip addresses)

The same with the entry under Forward Lookup Zones

If i double click on any entry in the right pane there is the option to check the button "Update associated pointer record" Should i check this??

After ipconfig /registerdns this was in the eventlog of Computer A:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: dnscache
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11050
Date: 10/05/2005
Time: 13:10:39
User: N/A
Computer: COMPNAME
Description:
The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.
Data:
0000: b4 05 00 00 ´...

Okay, so the issue is DNS. I would recommend getting someone in who knows what they are doing. It is too easy to make mistakes and even a talk-through might cause issues elsewhere. DNS errors are generally quick and easy to solve once you know what you are doing but tamper at your own peril!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back