Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't perform bare metal backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmannatl

Technical User
Aug 23, 2003
US
I have a 2008 R2 server that will not allow a Bare Metal Backup due to the "OS" partition being FAT32. I did not do the initial installation, so I am unsure why it is FAT. I understand the reason it can not be backed up, but how do I fix it. This is a Terminal Server, and can't risk corrupting the booting of this server, and since I can't get a bare metal backup I feel stuck!!!??

The layout of the disk is as follows :

"" (OEM Partition) 55MB
C: (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary) 80GB NTFS
D: (Logical Drive) 385GB NTFS
"OS" (System, Active, Primary) 2GB FAT32

Not sure what that partition is used for but it sounds like it's a partition for system diag tools. you may not even need it for booting.

Perhaps you could convert the server to a Virtual Machine before you do this in case you have an issue. This way you have a backup image of it. I don't think converting that partition to NTFS would cause an issue but just in case.

That OS partition sounds like the one that Windows creates when it is installed to support Bitlocker. Basically it becomes the boot partition, and loads enough of the boot config to allow you to access the Bitlocker keys to load the full OS partition and any other encrypted partitions. If you build a server using HP SmartStart or something similar it usually isn't created.

Also, it's usually only a couple hundred MB.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back