Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't overwrite open read-only files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism0n

MIS
Jul 19, 2002
US
On my windows 2000 server I have a shared folder that has 20 - 30 reports (*.pdf) in it for users to look at. Everynight these reports get updated, but sometimes there is one or two file that will not get updated (overwritten), because someone is still logged in and looking at one of the files. Even tho they are read-only the files are locked. I know about forcedel.exe but you need to type the name of the file in (*.* will not work).
Is there a simple way to kill the share or all network connections to this folder??

This should work right click my computer-manage-shared folders right click sessions and select disconnect sessions.

I want to have this automated. There is an automatic process that overwrites the files. This all takes place at 3am.

You could try to write a script that does a net session /delete to disconnect users. But I think that if a user had a file open, and a disconnect took place, it would probably automatically try and re-establish the connection.

The way to stop sharing completely would be to stop the "server" service, then re-enable it. But you have to make sure you're file update process does not depend on the server service being active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back