Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open this item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I have been receiving an intermitted error message when I open up an email within Outlook 2000. At the time when I receive this message I do not have many windows open. This is the Error I get:
Can't open this item. The text formatting command is not available. It may not be installed correctly. Please reinstall Outlook. Out of memory or resources. Please close all windows.

My computer has the current updates installed on it. I have boosted the paging files. In the International Options under Mail format I changed both the send this encoding for outgoing messages and the send this encoding for unmarked received messages options from User Defined to Western European (ISO) or Western European (Windows).

Nothing has worked. Do you have any suggestions?

I am guessing that you may be getting this message only with HTML formatted messages. You may be having a problem with the install of Internet Explorer and not Outlook.

What version of IE are you running? If you have the latest version you may try doing a repair on IE.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

It could be when the user is in the middle of composing an email or opening a new one so I am unsure if it is stictly when I open HTML messages. Either way it doesn't hurt to try I will repair I.E. 6.0 and then let you know.

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I removed I.E. then reinstalled I.E. completed the updates and I still get the same error:
Can't open this item. The text formatting command is not available. It may not be installed correctly. Please reinstall Outlook. Out of memory or resources. Please close all windows.

This time the error happened when the user tried to forward an email. I did notice that it had a word document with in that email. Either way I have re-installed Office numerous times and it has the update service packs. Plus, I boosted the paging files. In Outlook in the International Options under Mail format I changed both the send this encoding for outgoing messages and the send this encoding for unmarked received messages options from User Defined to Western European (ISO) or Western European (Windows).

If anyone has any suggestions please help!!

Did you do a scanpst of the mail box.

Reinstall Outlook Express..
I am pretty positive that when you reninstalled IE it must have installed Outlook Express also..But could you try again and post the result.

Sometimes errors in outlook are caused by corrupt / improper installation of outlook express and hence this idea.

regards
MP

The user uses Microsoft Outlook as their email agent not Outlook Express. Do you think Outlook Express is conflicting with Outlook?

may be...there's no need to uninstall outlook express..Just try to reinstall outlook express and see if the problem still persists.

regards
MP

One more suggestion but it is kind of a long shot. Replace the frmcache.dat file with a fresh copy or a copy from another system where you don't have a problem.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

JoeGZ .. when you delete this 'frmcache.dat ', does it create a new one upon reboot, or just close the program and reopen again??

It creates a new one but a blank one which will do you no good. It is best to copy the file from another system or from the installation CD. It should be about 98 KB in size.

joegz

Open OUTLOOK click on HELP,then DETECT AND REPAIR..click it....will need Your OFFICE CD.

GOOD LUCK

I am still at a loss. I deleted the 'frmcache.dat ' file and I still have the same error. I also made Ms Word edit the emails to see if that will clear the text formatting error but that didn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions before I re-image this machine?

OK one more suggestion...the issue is probably one of these files not being registered correctly. Since I can't produce the problem here is what I suggest.

Try running the command regsvr32 on the dll files listed below. Perhaps best one at a time and then try the operation after each attempt to see if that corrected the issue. If you have gone through all four dll files then do the next step.

Delete mapi.dll, mapi32.dll, mapisp32.exe, mapisrvr.exe, outllib.dll, outlmime.dll, outlook.exe, then rerun Outlook Setup and recreate the profile.

If that doesn't work I am fresh out of ideas.

joegz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back