Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't open recordset based on UNION query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diwin

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
CA

Code:
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("qryCheckMainFBI3", DB_OPEN_DYNASET)
Why does this line in frmSite cause...

run-time error '3061':
too few paramaters. Expect 3.???

qryCheckMainFBI1
Code:
SELECT qryFillTempTables.SiteCode, qryFillTempTables.ID, tblTempYear.YearListID AS CheckYear, qryFillTempTables.SeasonID, qryFillTempTables.MainPointID, qryFillTempTables.Point, qryFillTempTables.FBI, qryFillTempTables.MainFBI, qryFillTempTables.f_SiteID, qryFillTempTables.SiteID, qryFillTempTables.YearID AS CheckTempYear
FROM tblTempYear INNER JOIN qryFillTempTables ON tblTempYear.ID = qryFillTempTables.YearID
WHERE (((qryFillTempTables.SeasonID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[cboSeason]) AND ((qryFillTempTables.SiteID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[txtTest]) AND ((qryFillTempTables.YearID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[cboYear]));

qryCheckMainFBI2
Code:
SELECT tblSiteInfo.SiteCode, tblPointInfo.ID, tblPointInfo.YearID AS CheckYear, tblPointInfo.SeasonID, tblPointInfo.MainPointID, tblPointInfo.Point, tblPointInfo.FBI, tblPointInfo.MainFBI, tblPointInfo.f_SiteID, tblSiteInfo.SiteID, tblTempYear.ID AS CheckTempYear
FROM tblTempYear INNER JOIN (tblPointInfo INNER JOIN tblSiteInfo ON tblPointInfo.f_SiteID = tblSiteInfo.ID) ON tblTempYear.YearListID = tblPointInfo.YearID
WHERE (((tblPointInfo.SeasonID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[cboSeason]) AND ((tblSiteInfo.SiteID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[txtTest]) AND ((tblTempYear.ID)=[Forms]![frmSite].[cboYear]));

qryCheckMainFBI3
Code:
SELECT *
FROM qryCheckMainFBI1
UNION SELECT * FROM qryCheckMainFBI2;

Daniel Dillon
O o . (<--- brain shrinking at rate shown.)

The line occurs because you have three unresolved parameters in the query "Too few parameters. Expected 3."

Neither DAO nor ADO knows anything about Access objects, so you need to spoon-feed the values (resolve parameters)

Here's some air code for resolving parameters from forms, hopefully not too many spleilng erorrs

[tt]dim qd as dao.querydef
dim db as dao.database
dim prm as dao.parameter

set db = currentdb
set qd = db.querydefs("qryCheckMainFBI3")
for each prm in qd.parameters
prm.value = eval(prm.name)
next prm
set rs = qd.openrecordset()[/tt]

Roy-Vidar

How do I read the results of this code?

Daniel Dillon

It's a recordset, same as your initial recordset - dunno what you intended.

[tt]do while not rs.eof
debug.print rs.fields(0).value, rs.fields(1).value
rs.movenext
loop[/tt]

Roy-Vidar

so is it a good idea to...

rewrite the detailed union query in the module and stuff the 3 paramaters from the form controls in the query code?

Daniel Dillon

OK. I'm lost. I don't understand what resolving is or how I can use it to make my code run.

Daniel Dillon

Well, you could start with copy/pasting my first suggestion into your code, to replace your line of code that errored.

Then you could try it.

Does it give any errormessages? If not, it probably has succeeded in resolving the parameters and has opened the recordset based on the union query.

Roy-Vidar

Oh. I get it. I got it working. I don't have a clue why.

[tab][tab][tab][tab][tab] ^
[tab][tab][tab][tab][tab] < >
[tab][tab][tab][tab][tab] V V

Daniel Dillon

OK. I found it on p. 1275.
So much to learn.

Daniel Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back