Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Open /etc/inittab errno:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalidaaa

Technical User
Jan 19, 2006
BH
Hi

i'm facing an annoying problem on a newly installed server (AIX5.3)

I handed the server to our DBAs to install oracle in it but i guess the DBA wanted to remove oracle so instead of removing oratab he removed inittab and restarted the server

now i'm having this error message:

grep: Can't open /etc/inittab
grep: Can't open /etc/inittab

Saving Base Customize Data to boot disk
Starting the sync daemon
Starting the error daemon
System Initialization completed

INIT: Cannot open /etc/inittab errno:2
INIT: SINGLE-USER MODE
password:

when i supply the password it lets me log in but i can't see the /etc filesystem mounted and i can't access the network (coz i thought of copying the inittab from another machine)

is there any way to recover from this?? or i'll have to reinstall every thing from scratch?

regards
Khalid

Without restoring from a Mksysb, I think you could boot from CD, go into Maintenance Mode (with the option to mount filesystems)
Then you can recreate /etc/inittab either from a copy on floppy or some typing!

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Make sure / /tmp or /usr arn't full as this can also cause the error message.

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

1. fire the dba
2. you should be able to restore just the inittab file from a mksysb
3. consider a reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back