Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant open attatchment, only affects 1 user,

Status
Not open for further replies.

KThug

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
I have one user in 80 that cannot open an attatchment, she gets the "object not found" error. I am running exchange 5.5 with Office 2000 sp3 with all the updates. Even stranger, I can access her inbox from my pc and open the attachment.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Steve

It could be a corrupt Outlook profile. Have you tried recreating the user's Outlook profile on her computer?

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Try checking the regsitry key HKEY_CU\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security. The value OutlookSecureTempFolder should have a path listed. Check if that path is actually valid.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

ok...more information. the user can open SOME attachements but not attatchments that are embedded emails. Seems to only screw up when an .eml file is sent as an attachment.

Is Outlook Express installed? If you look at file associations for .eml what program is it listed to call?

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

joegz,

thanks for replying here, i checked the association for .eml file and it was set to Outlook express. What should it be set to? Outlook?

thanks again for the input.

Steve

EML files are for Outlook Express so the file association is correct. Still Outlook should be able to open the EML attachment just like any other message.

If she save the attachment as a file and then tries to open it does anything happen?

joegz

the attachment can never be opened or saved...it errors before anything can happen with the "object not found".

D'oh! [hammer] I knew that.

Honestly I don't know what the issue can be. A suggestion which may help is to use a couple of tools I like from FILEMON and REGMON. They track file activity and registry activity when you try to open the attachment. Maybe just maybe you will get some clue from these tools that tells you what may be wrong or at least what it might be looking for.

For me this is just one of those issues that I need the machine in front of me to try and figure out.

Good luck!

joegz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back