Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't open applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

brbarto

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
When I started my computer, I had a message something about a problem with the registry and it had been successfully fixed. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what it said. Howerever, now I can't open any of my applications by clicking on them. I have to right click and open. I sometimes get the following message when opening something like Word 2003: An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Please run Setup and select "Repair.." to restore this application.

Any help would be appreciated. (I have done CHKDSK /r)

Did you rerun the setup for Office and select "Repair"?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

You may have failing memory, hard disk or a virus, as first thoughts; can you reboot and see if the error occurs again?

Give us some background on your hardware too, thanks.

Andy.

The applications may appear damaged because of the registry error. Start, Adminstrative Tools, Event Viewer. Could you locate the exact error event and post it here?

If I were you i would scan my drive for trojans. I had a similar problem with my old pc which runs on win98. Norton didn't help at all, instead i used AVG antivirus and it spotted 2 trojans for me ever since those applications began working well again.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it may be a couple of days before I can work on this. I am using a Compaq Presario 2575 laptop - 80 GB hard drive-Pentium 4-2.66GHz-512 RAM.

I haven't tried the Office setup and repair yet, since it involved other applications. If I reboot, I do not get the registry error. I am going to look into a possible virus. I don't feel it's a virus, but I know I have to seriously consider it.

I am not sure what I was suppose to be looking for in the Event Viewer. I did find the registry error. Is any of the following info useful? (Again, thanks!)

Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

Faulting application HPWirelessMgr.exe, version 1.0.0.7, faulting module atl.dll, version 3.0.9435.0, fault address 0x00001285.

The application, C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\HPWirelessMgr.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 07/27/2004 @ 23:26:59.370 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 76B21285 (ATL!AtlAdvise)

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: < with error: 0x8ca

Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2800.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

The Ati HotKey Poller service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The HPWirelessMgr service hung on starting.

The HPWirelessMgr service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

For the registry issue, see: thread779-641755

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back