Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant open a jpeg attachment in windows 2000 OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanua

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
i Received an attachment of a logo via email in my outlook on my pc running windows 2000 professional and is a jpeg file but when I double click on the file, I just see only a small square shape with a red line inside the square shape at the extreme left end of the page.
Any idea

Try installing something like Irfanview (google for it) to display graphic files?

Im guessing either the picture didnt upload right or it is a trojan/virus disguised as a picture. I highly doubt its your end. If you can load other pics just fine of the same type then its the file itself.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

By the way I second installing Irfanview as well, very very good program!

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

1) On IE, under internet options, advanced, is Show Pictures ticked?

2) On Explorer, Tools/Folder Options/File Types, what is the "Opens With" executable for files with a jpg extension?

I will check out your suggestions but very interesting, I forwarded the email to an xp professional machine and the user was able to open it.
The file was saved in my documents and burned using nero on a cd and I was able to open it from the cd but when the same file on the cd was copied to a folder, I was not able to open it; it only opens only when I double click on the cd.
Very funny.

Right click and try open with...

If the file is named as "something.jpeg," have you tried renaming it by removing the "e" from the extension (so that "jpeg" becomes "jpg") and then trying to open it as "something.jpg"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back