Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Open A Database;Error Message I've never seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoonyD

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
US
Hi!

I've had a FileMaker Database go down and I was wondering if anyone knew of File Recovery techniques for this sort of Error message. I've already tried the recover command but that does not work. And I can't find this error message in FileMaker's TechInfo. I'm only interested in collecting the data. The database does not have to be saved. Here's the error message I was talking about:

"The access privileges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with. Please contact FileMaker Technical Support if the problem cannot be resolved"

Has anyone ever seen this error message in FileMaker? Let me know and Thanks!!

which version of FM ?

which OS system ?

Mac or PC WIN ?

Multi user or not ?

Network or not ?

We need a little more info ....

John

Sorry!

FMP 6

The Database was running on FMP Server 5.5-OS X version so it was multi-user and it was running on a Mac. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks John! Larry

Sorry for 'late' reply Larry, was 'out' for a few days...

Hmm...have only Win, and saw that on Win only...

Have some ideas :

reduce fonts...
clean up temp files (don't know if there is something similar on a Mac..

But will search my archive to see if I have something for Mac

HTH

John

I'm 90% certain you need to do what the message advises - go to FMP Tech support.

Cheers,
Paul J.

FM is only the messenger...don't shoot....

Have a colleague with same problem...seems to be 'to much traffic' on network, had to check serverperformance...

We moved the file to a single machine and could recover the data...next time...no way to recover....
Hope you have backup....¿¿¡¡

HTH

JW

Sorry I'm so late in responding. If you still need info, I believe the "privileges" issue is OS X based. You should try two things. Run Disk Utility / Repair Privileges on you OS X box (Applications/Utilies/Disk Utility). Take the file to a machine running OS 9 and FMP 6 and try to recover it from there.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back