Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't mount a remote directory rw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2005
US
Hello,

I am trying to do something relatively straightforward (one might think) but, so far, I can't get it working.

I am trying to access a home directory for userA on RedHat machine X (kernel ver 2.4.21-4-ELsmp) from machine Y (also RedHat kernel ver: 2.4.18-smp).

On machine Y, the directory seems to be a Read-only filesystem even though it was mounted rw.

On machine X: the /etc/exports file has the entry:
/home/userA machineY's ip address (rw,no_root_squash,sync)

I have issued the exportfs command to tell nfs which directory to share.

On machine Y:
The /etc/fstab entry has something like this:
machine X's ip address:/home/userA /remote rw,hard,intr 0 0

The mount command shows that the directory was mounted as rw but when I try to update a file created on file X, I get a message saying it is a Read-only file system.

The /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files on machine A both exist but currently have no entries.

What do I have to do to get this file system (or directory) to be read/writable on machine Y?

Thanks.

Is the user accessing the folder on machine Y having the same UID & GID as the files/folders on machine X?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

zeland:

Thank you very much for answering.

Yes, the user has the same UID and GID on both hosts.

Some more info:
on machine Y (the client) rpcinfo showed that portmapper, status,sgi_fam,nlockmgr were running.

on X: portmapper, sgi_fam, rquotad,nfs,nlockmgr,mountd,status were running

/etc/exports:
/home/UserA <ip address of machine Y> (rw,no_root_squash,sync)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back