Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't merge session - must restore data

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have a monthly backup tape set containing 8 sessions. Sessions 1 - 3 can merge. Session 4 has a bad catalogue, but ARCserve can do a sequential merge. (During the process of merging session 4, I get the error "W3802 Invalid file header signature. (SIG=abbaabba)" and ARCserve then does a sequential merge)

Session 5 is the session I need, but during the merge I get these errors: (And the merge then fails)

E3841 Unable to find session number. (MEDIA=M-NTGFS-FRI- 7/26/02, SESSION=5, EC=000000FE)
W3884 Unable to position media catalogue file.
E3841 Unable to find session number. (MEDIA=M-NTGFS-FRI- 7/26/02, SESSION=5, EC=000000FE)

If I try to merge in just session 5, or just session 6 or any other session after 5, I get this error:

E3841 Unable to find session number. (MEDIA=M-NTGFS-FRI- 7/26/02, SESSION=6, EC=EARLY WARNING)

I performed a scan of the tape sets and the scan was able to find and report all sessions.

During the merge operations, I see no tape read errors. I've deleted all sessions from the database and re-merged with the same results.

My tape heads are fairly new.

Problem is - I absolutely must restore data from this tape - even if I can get only part of it. There must be a method - or third party util that can sequential read the tape and construct files.

What are my options?

Was the monthend tape created with the same version of Arcserve? I had some similiar problems trying to restore a tape created with Arcserve 6.61 on a server that had Arcserve 2000. I just loaded the old Arcserve on antoher server and did my restore just fine.

Good luck.

Hmmm Interesting thought.... It was created with the same version but different service pack. Could it be? Hard to believe - yet I've seen stranger things....

Thanks for the link - I found the reghack a few days back - it does the job. Funny thing though I've found two backup sets that give the same error - in the same place! I'm wondering if this is problem similar to the one recently patched -
Even though it's not related, I tried this one aways... no luck...

those links seem outdated, does anyone know where i can find the registry hack link info? or can someone pls post it?

i am having the same issue, i can merge the first session only, then i get the e 3841 error.

This forces a sequential merge:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Task\Merge]
"DoNotUseCatalogMerge"=dword:00000001

To use catalog merge again, just change DoNotUseCatalogMerge to a zero.

HI,

First confirm if arcserve recognizes session 5.
Run a SCAN job from ARCServe and scan session 5. if the scan finds session 5

you can run a restore using "restore from Backup media"

you can use "include filters" if you want specific files..

But if the scan fails..

i think.. that would be end of discussion..

good luck ..

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back