Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't maximize applications by clicking on them in taskbar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyStee

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
This worked yesterday and now it doesn't and it's driving me NUTS! I don't remember changing any settings, but maybe I did. . .
whenever I click on a taskbar minimized application, it used to bring it into focus automatically. Now it just starts "blinking." So I click it again and I can kindof see it being minimized, and then I click it again and it brings it into focus. Argh. I also cannot right-click on the taskbar icons and see the menu with minimize, maximize, close, etc.

Please help!

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

What happens if you ALT+TAB to get between programs?

MCSE, A+

Alt+Tab works. Also, this is my firm's computer, so I don't have access to XP software.

Right-click an empty area of the taskbar, Properties, is "Group similar taskbar buttons" checked? If so, uncheck this.

Have you run a spyware remover lately? I've seen various performance issues similar to this caused by spyware.
Free program is worth it, even if it doesn't solve this issue.

MCSE, A+

Just had this happen here. Are you using IHatespam?

MCSE, A+

Linney, yes, yes, yes!!! I guess I just didn't use the right search terms when I did a google search. One of the articles you found in your search is exactly what my issue (and solution!!). Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back