Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't logon to Win2k domain win Win2kPro machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo0000

Technical User
Feb 1, 2001
US
I can't logon to my Win2k domain w/ my Win2kPro machine, but can logon to it w/ my Win98 machine. When i try to join the domain it prompts me for user and password then it says "can't find specified path or something.."

PS: I have already tried adding the .com and that just gives an error right away, "Cant find specified location..."

check the DNS servers the workstation is connecting to. at least one of them must be a domain controller.

assume that the DC is running DNS and it is hosting the various DNS entries for 2000 domain controllers. this will happen automatically when the DC is promoted and DNS is installed.
hopefully your DHCP is providing these addresses dynamically

Have you tried creating a machine account for the win2k machine on the domain and then connecting. When you add the machine make sure the userid has been set up and does NOT have a "change password on first use" attribute set. The various wizards should kick in and create a local user account if necessary and ask you to reboot. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back