Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't logon domain from Win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngeH

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
NO
I am having a problem with a network that has 5 Windows 98 workstations and 7 Windows 2000 workstations. The workstations logs on to a domain with a Windows 2000 server as PDC. All workstations and the server are connected to a Trendnet TE100 switch, and the switch is connected to a Zyxtel prestige 200 router, which also connects to the Internet via ISDN.

Since recently, none of the Win98 workstations can log on to the domain. When entering username and password I only get a message "No domain controller can verify password.".
The Win2000 workstations are working just fine.

I tried to ping the server from the Win98 workstations, but "Request timed out". I tried to ping the Win2000 workstations - works OK, and when I ping the router it also works OK.

Then I tried pinging the Win98 workstations from the server: "Request timed out". I pinged the Win2000 workstations from the server, worked fine. But when I tried pinging the router from the server the "Request timed out".

I don't use DHCP to assign IP - they are all static. I have also checked network-cables

I think this must be a problem with some serverconfiguration, but as I am not a network wiz and haven't worked much with 2000 servers I don't know where to begin.... I think this must have something to do with not being able to ping the router from the server. I guess the workstations simply can't find the server.

The server has IP 192.168.1.199 mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.2 (which is the router). DNS is 127.0.0.1 and WINS 192.168.1.199 (the server).

All the workstations have IP 192.168.1.xxx and the same mask and gateway as the server. But they have DNS 192.212.1.11 and no WINS.

Anybody got any ideas?

Question

Why is your DNS IP a loop?

Do you have a internal DNS setup on your Win2k Server?

Are you running in Native or Mixed mode on your Domain?

Cmegha

I have no idea why the DNS is 127.0.0.1. This was set up some time ago by a technician (who I don't know who is...). I have tried changing it to the same DNS IP as the workstations use, but that didn't help.

I think I am running Native mode on my domain, but where can I check this? Would this influence on the Win98 workstations not beeing able to "see" the server?

If the Domain is in Native Mode this will not support Win98 Clients... to check

Goto Active Directory Users and Computers>Right Click on the Domain>Properties on the General Tab... See the Domain Operation Mode.

If this was changed recently from Mixed to Native... your out of luck... This is a one-way operation.

Only way I can think is to recreate Active Directory. (Basically rebuild Win2K Domain)

Let me know

CMegha

If this is in Native Mode, Since you only have 5 Win98 Clients it mught be easier just to upgrade them to Win2k if you have enough licenses.

Just a suggestion.

CMegha

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check the domain properties on monday. Unfortunately, upgrading to Win2k isn't an option as the computers are too old. We would have to buy new ones.... :-(

But is it possible that the mixed/native mode is the reason why I can't ping the router from the server? I can't reach the Internet from the server either, only from the Win2k-clients.

Our network setup:
2 Windows 2000 Domain Controllers each of them with DNS

All clients point to our internal DNS Servers.

The DNS servers have forwarders to our ISP DNS.

Works Great... as for your ping issue im not too sure. But I would like to know what you do to resolve.

CMegha

I'd change the 127.0.0.1 on the server. You can't get name resolution by using localhost. You need a valid dns server. How do you get to the internet? ISP? Do they provide you with DNS? I'm guessing that the server belched and the dns numbers changed on there own. I've seen this even in outlook, where outlook stops working, and the pop3 is set to 127.0.0.1.
Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"A single stone can cause a building to collapse."
Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645); Spanish writer.

Our ISP is providing the DNS for all the clients. It is possible that the server had that DNS earlier (I got involved with the company this summer) and that it changed the DNS to localhost when the server, for some reason, couldn't reach the router. If I could figure out why it can't connect to the router anymore, it probably would work changing the DNS-setting to the ISP DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back