Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't logon domain from Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngeH

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
NO
I am having a problem with a network that has 5 Windows 98 workstations and 7 Windows 2000 workstations. The workstations logs on to a domain with a Windows 2000 server as PDC. All workstations and the server are connected to a Trendnet TE100 switch, and the switch is connected to a Zyxtel prestige 200 router, which also connects to the Internet via ISDN.

Since recently, none of the Win98 workstations can log on to the domain. When entering username and password I only get a message "No domain controller can verify password.".
The Win2000 workstations are working just fine.

I tried to ping the server from the Win98 workstations, but "Request timed out". I tried to ping the Win2000 workstations - works OK, and when I ping the router it also works OK.

Then I tried pinging the Win98 workstations from the server: "Request timed out". I pinged the Win2000 workstations from the server, worked fine. But when I tried pinging the router from the server the "Request timed out".

I don't use DHCP to assign IP - they are all static. I have also checked network-cables

I think this must be a problem with some serverconfiguration, but as I am not a network wiz and haven't worked much with 2000 servers I don't know where to begin.... I think this must have something to do with not being able to ping the router from the server. I guess the workstations simply can't find the server.

The server has IP 192.168.1.199 mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.2 (which is the router). DNS is 127.0.0.1 and WINS 192.168.1.199 (the server).

All the workstations have IP 192.168.1.xxx and the same mask and gateway as the server. But they have DNS 192.212.1.11 and no WINS.

Anybody got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back