Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login to XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
I recently installed XP Pro onto my PC a couple of months ago...it had been working fine up until last week. When I power up the machine it goes through it's normal boot process. Here's the problem, I get the login screen but none of the user accounts (3 user accounts) appear. I've rebooted thinking that might help...NOT. I even tried to load the 'last known good configuration...' or however it reads but that still doesn't work.

I basically stopped it there thinking someone on the internet may have had the same problem, but I could find any info. Before I reinstall XP I figure I'd try my luck with you folks...

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Can you get into safe mode (hold f8 while booting up) ?
If you can get in there, add your users again from the "users" group in control panel.

Also, make sure nobody is deleting these profiles on you and do a virus/trojan scan.
~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Have you tried using the Admin account? Also you can boot using the Xp disk and do a repair, it will simply restore all XP files, but not erase any user info.

Thanks guys...

I will give it a try and let you know...

Ray

This is a silly one guys/gals, My password had just simply
expired and now I can't log in to my XP. Is there any way to get into my machine without re-installing XP?

grup12,

Is this your own machine? Is there no Administrator user (as well as your logon). Other users? How comes expiry set - not on by default?

Yes my own machine, The administor is me and yet I didn't set up an admin account. I know This was not smart. Any suggestions? Didn't know the expire set could be turned on or off by default...Help!!!

I guess I will have to just go out and buy a new OS XP and re-install it huh? Thanks for the help though...

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back