Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login into laptop-after changing the workgroup name

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutiePi

Vendor
Sep 7, 2005
CA
Hi,

I have a company laptop(DELL) and I was trying to add it to my home network. I changed the workgroup name in the laptop to that of my home network.

I rebooted and now I can not log into the laptop with my username and password. I tried F8 function and booted into safe mode but again I can not log into the system. I have no boot disk or any other disks....

Can someone help me to log in and undow the network changes that I have made..

Thanks,

Christine

was it previously a domain? The workgroup shouldn't make a difference as long as it is a local account on the computer. At the login screen look to see if there's any logon options. It may be set to a domain still instead of locally.

Make sure that you are logging into your home workgroup or whatever setup you have and you have to realize that if you WERE logging into a domain as say "administrator" and whatever password that now you are logging into the LOCAL machine for administrator and you need to use the LOCAL password not your domain password!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back