Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login after screensaver activates

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefourthwall

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
US
Version is XP Pro SP3.

After the screensaver activates, I am unable to unlock the PC because the keyboard starts typing garbage characters.

I put the cursor in the username field and started typing the "q" key repeatedly . This results in q,w,e,r,t,y,u,i characters etc being typed. Same with any other key putting multiple characters from the same row as the key pressed, but not the key needed.

This happens only when the PC is locked, as far as I can tell. I can login just fine; when logged in and using applications, everything's good. Just when the pc is locked. Why is this happening, any thoughts?

One possibility is the screensaver you're using is corrupt. Try one of the other Windows screensavers and see if you get the same results.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Good thought. I have done that, however, with the same results.

Are these the screensavers that came with Windows or did you get them elsewhere?

--
JP

Honestly, that sounds like prankware as I like to call it. Software that someone has put on your computer as a prank.

Either way, I would do a scan here and see what you come up with.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

JPaules,

These are the "built-in" or default screensavers in XP (SP3)

Hey electronicsfreak, I ran housecall from trend micro and it found 3 rootkits. Oddly enough, they were listed as being in one of the system folders for Zone Alarm, which I use as my firewall/AV solution. Will test again this evening and advise. Thanks for the housecall suggestion - hadn't occurred to me.

n/p, but still let us know if that solves the problem or not. I just mentioned that as I always prefer to eliminate the small steps first lol.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

If cleaning out your malware doesn't help here are few other things to try.

What happens if you changed (for testing purposes) your password to qwerty?

Do you have the same problem with a different keyboard?

Have you tested with another user?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back