Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't login after RDP session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanjenn

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
If I log in to our Windows XP Pro machines in our domain through a Remote Desktop session and then log out, the local users are unable to log in to the machine at the local console. I can again log in through a RDP session just not at the local console. There is only a black screen with no option to for Ctrl>Alt>Del to log on. If I remotely reboot the machine they are presented with a normal login screen and all works as expected.

This occurs even if I remotely log on without a local user being logged on at the time.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks!

How many machines have this problem? Were they all loaded off of an image? Did it ever work right? Last, what if you login to one of these PCs from a different computer, does the problem still appear?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks for your response Matt. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this.

I can think of 4 or 5 systems that have this issue although I haven't tried to connect to all XP systems in our domain using RDP. It has happened on various systems old and new, different brands and generations of hardware that are Dell OEM XP Pro installs and installs from a Corp XP Pro CD. I typically connect from two different machines. One is a PowerBook using the MS Remote Desktop Client for Mac and the other is a Windows XP SP2 PC. I've had the problem occur with both systems. To make it even more difficult to troubleshoot, it doesn't occur with 100% consistency on the affected systems. I'm trying to get it to happen on one of the client systems that it usually occurs on right now and everything is fine at the moment. I can successfully connect and disconnect and the local log on screen reappears as it should.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back