Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't log on with SSH v1 since router domain-name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabob

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2004
US
I had to change the domain-name on a router, and since then my Slackware 11.0 PC cannot log in to it using ssh v1. I shut down and restarted the SSH server on the router (which should have re-generated a new crypto key) but still cannot log in.

Do I have to delete or remove a file containing the former rsa key (or other crypto information) before I can log in to that router again using SSH v1?

I have no more territorial claims to make in Europe...

Adolph Hitler (after moving troops into the Rhineland in 1936)

I can log in via telnet just fine, so I know I am getting connectivity.

I did a:

user1:~$ rm $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts

then attempted to ssh in, but after the router gives me its key, I immediately get disconnected. I try to log in again after that (thinking that once I had the key I was OK), then immediately get disconnected again.

My belief is that I need to delete or remove existing rsa info out of the Linux PC so the router will let me start anew.

I just don't know which files I need to delete or edit.

You mentioned SSH v1. Often that's disabled in the .conf files for the ssh client by default (given that v1 has been deprecated by the SSH folks for a few years).

Is it possible that your client SW is not permitting itself to talk v1?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I got it working. I edited all rsa files in /etc/ssh and deleted moduli, then re-installed moduli from OpenSSH.

I shutdown and re-started the SSH server on the router again (which generated a new key pair), and now I can log in with my Linux PC using SSH v1.

Thanks for your reply.

I have no more territorial claims to make in Europe...

Adolph Hitler (after moving troops into the Rhineland in 1936)

Another fix is to remove the lines in the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file referring to the servers you're having trouble with. Next time you ssh to it, it will generate a new key for the client.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back