Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Log On to Domain with Admin Privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretto

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
AU
I just bought a notebook (WIN2K PRO OS) I have come home and joined it to the domain but for some reason I can't log onto the domain with any domain account that has admin privileges.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers bretto.

but you can log in as a regular domain user? or just a local user? What error are you getting?

Silly question, but Bronto is right. Are you sure your logging onto the domain and not locally? Are you a member of the local admin group? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The essence of knowledge is, having it, to apply it;
not having it, to confess your ignorance."
Confucius (c. 551BC - 479BC) Chinese philosopher,

I'm not recieving any error and I am Logging in as a domain admin when I have the problem, the notebook just stalls on "loading your personal settings" and will stay there for hours if you let it.

Local Admin group works fine.

Cheers bretto.

This is puely a tcp/ip and dns issue. Configure both, particularly dns, and all should be ok.

Yes Art is correct,

DNS plays a large part when it comes to the computer logging into the domain. If something is screwy it could take a few hours just to login. Network communication could have a problem

Digum, MCP, A+, Server+, APS, Network +, CCNA

Had the same problem with my laptop. W2K pro, using dummy account to test security. Did take hours to logon. Went into AD, deleted the account, re-created it, same everything, worked great. Not saying you should delete admin account, just an FYI. [pc2] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The essence of knowledge is, having it, to apply it;
not having it, to confess your ignorance."
Confucius (c. 551BC - 479BC) Chinese philosopher,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back