Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Log On to Domain with Admin Privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretto

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
AU
I just bought a notebook (WIN2K PRO OS) I have come home and joined it to the domain but for some reason I can't log onto the domain with any domain account that has admin privileges.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers bretto.

You have a domain at home? You have changed where the machine is logging into since you joined the domain? (ie, from the local computer name to the domain name - drop down box on logon window)?

Yes, the notebook has joined the domain and I can log onto the domain using a domain user account but I can not logon to the domain using any account that has administrator privileges.

This is so strange, I don't understand.

Please Help Me.

Bretto,

1. Check your network settings: IP Address, DNS Server, Subnet Mask, WINS
2. If these are correct, 'start', 'run', type command
3. At the dos prompt, type ping 10.100.25.4(using ip address of your computer), then press enter. If you get a reply, then the network card is fine.
4. Next "ping (ip address)" of a workstation on the network. If you cannot ping any of the other IP addreses on the network, you may have a cable problem. Try changing the cable.
5. Even if you assign the same IP address or name from another computer to your comupter, the network will recognize it and send an error message.
6. If you assigned the computer to the domain correctly, a window would've popped up saying Welcome to the domain XXXXXX

All Client IP Addresses are assighned via dhcp therefore if all the other client ip configuration is correct I can't see how there could be a problem with the notebook. I have tried to test the notebook NIC by pinging it's own ip and it works fine.

I have not tested the cable but If I can log onto the domain using any Domain User Account I dont see how the cable could be a problem.

Does anyone have any more idea's?

Could this have anything to do with Norton Internet security blocking the advanced user policy associated with the domain admins group?

Cheers Bretto.

'Could this have anything to do with Norton Internet security blocking the advanced user policy associated with the domain admins group?' Obviously yes - please explain some more - most common reason for not solving problems is because information is not given.

Yes try creating a new domain administrator then see if you can log on with that account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back