Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant log into Netgear router!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty1404

MIS
Feb 12, 2007
US
We have a wierd problem. We have three netgear wireless routers that cover our business. Lately we are not able to get into them to configure them. We usually just type in the ip address and then we can log in. Now it sometimes will let you log in and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it goes really really slow and sometimes you cant even ping it. I dont know what is going on. We direct connected to it and it works great. If you unplug them and plug them back in they will let you in for about 2 hours then they go back. The firmware is updated and the wireless does work. The only thing is we can configure them. I am thinking some kind of security thing but i dont know what.

Think i would go for a factory reset if possible and monitor 1 of them for a few days check the channels they are set for and keep them away from each other say 2 6 12..

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

I am not able to see the other wireless stations in the avaiblable wireless stations list. Do I need to add it as a trusted station or something? They are on the same SSID.

If they have the same SSID, how can your NICs know what network to hook up to?

Try changing the SSIDs aqnd channels.

I am not accessing it through the wireless I am accessing it through my desktop.

Are you making sure they each have a different IP.
That only one has DHCP turn on.
That the DCHP has the IP of the other routers not in the pool.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Yes, they are differeny IPs. Neither of them have dhcp enabled. The PC's get it from the dhcp server on the network.

Can you give us an idea of the wiring diagram. Where does you internet come in.

IE
Internet--Server--Router1--Router2.....
\Client \Client
or
Internet--Router1--Router2...
\Server \Client

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

1, 6, 11 is the semi standard for channels to use.. make sure that you do not use the same channel in the same area.. they should never overlap

I would make sure you have the latest firmware... non standard admin password... maybe pull the config off a working ap and apply it to an ap that isnt working correctly. (export/import)

you have been at this 7 days so far.. i would have factory reset one by now and see afresh what is going on :)

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

I have reset them all. It works for a couple hours and then were back to sqaure one. It has to have something to do with security somewhere. We are getting wireless, we just cant configure them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back