Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't lock file error

Status
Not open for further replies.

miles57

MIS
Nov 20, 2002
GB
i have several databases on a server, with one group being able to edit and everyone else read only, if the group with edit rights open the database th read only users get "can't lock file" errors.

all the access rights seem to be correct and the databases are set to shared with no locking.

any ideas ?

Thanx Ade

Anybody opening an SQL query with any of the allowed update options?

In my experience, this error message tends to be due to folder permissions. Make sure the users are able to add, edit, and delete files in the folder where the database lives. They need these permissions to perform the appropriate actions on the ldb file, which is used for locking the database.

The permissions can easily be tested under Windows explorer. Browse to the folder, right-click, and add a new text file. Next, open the text file, edit it, and save the changes. Finally, delete the text file. This process will let you know if you have the necessary permissions on the folder.

If i give the everyone write access then they are able to edit and delete record which we don't want them to be able to.

i have tried moving the folder to a differant server in case it was server related but the same problem is happening.

Hi thanx for all the help, managed to resolv the issue by gvving the users read access to the folder and read write access to the LDB file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back