Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't locate PDC for Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpvone

MIS
Aug 16, 2001
US
We installed 2 Juniper ISG 1000 Firewalls (redundancy) into our network infrastructure, and now, I'm getting very strange behavior in my Domain. I have one domain, with a PDC and a BDC. Here's what's happening:

Random clients are unable to find the PDC or BDC for authentication, yet once the PC boots up with cached credentials, yet login scripts from AD run successfully. HAs anyone seen anything like this?? Juniper says that the firewalls aren't blocking any packets. Is there some secret microsoft protocol used on login???

Thanks,
Dan

Please clarify the details here. You are mixing terms. Do you have a PDC and BDC (and therefore are an NT4 shop) or do you wave Windows 2000 with multiple DCs and Active Directory?

Typical authentication problems with Windows 2000 are DNS related and that is where you should begin your search. Check the DNS configuration of the clients. They should only list your internal DNS servers and never the ISP DNS servers. Your internal DNS servers should be configured with the ISP DNS in the Forwarders tab of DNS. Configure the server NICs to only have internal DNS servers configured just like the clients.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Sorry for the confusion, I still use NT terminology. It's Windows 2000 with multiple Dcs and AD. All clients are configured to grab addresses from DHCP and locate the nearest DNS server (on the internal network). Will double check these on the servers. ...Thanks

Yes, make certain that the DHCP Scope is handing out the right DNS servers.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back