Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't locate file

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
When I run "Easy Cleaner", it shows a file that I can't find.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mick [that's me]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\index.dat.
This file reports as 3,735,552 bytes - Video CD Movie - 4/5/2006. (Attribute) A

The problem is, it doesn't appear anywhere on my hard drive! "Show all files" is turned on. \Temporary Internet Files just shows cookies - no sub-directories at all. I use a program called "Cache Cleaner" that cleans out all the other "Index.dat" files. I would like to rename/delete it, but I can't find it! This is really starting to drive me crazy.

XP SP2, all updates.

Go into windows explorer - take options tools > folder options. Take tab "View". Scroll down until you see "hidden files and folders. Ensure you have it set to "show hidden files and folders". You will now see it.

[pc]

Graham

I think your easy cleaner is incorrectly reporting what kind of file it is. The index.dat file is used by Internet Explorer to keep your internet activities coherent.

also at 3meg is it worth worrying about that much ?

Laters, phat, headshape

koresnordic: read post - "show all" is turned on.

flipperc: I don't care what kind of file it is - I want it gone!

theo1881: Not really, but it bothers me.

Let's hope the windows directory doesn't bother you too.

index.dat is supposed to be an IE file, it should be there.

Cheers,
Dian

I know it's supposed to be there. A "Search" shows several "Index.dat" files. None of them are this particular file.

You can't delete, or even see the index.dat file in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder while you are logged in as username.

You will have to log onto the computer as a different user with administrator rights, then you can browse your C:\Documents and Settings\Mick [that's me]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder.

I AM the administrater. The file shows as "A", so it shouldn't be hidden.

micker377 said:
I AM the administrater
But did you try logging on using a different administrator account and going to that folder, like I suggested? If so, what did you see when you browsed to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files?

Start in Safe Mode, log on as Administrator, then you should be able to go into Documents and Settings\Mick\ etc etc., and delete completely the contents of the Temporary Internet Files sub-dir, including the infamous "Index.dat".

Note:- You might need to adjust the settings in Explorer for viewing folder options when in Safe Mode...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

DUH-OH!!! Thanks for the clue G0AOZ. As many time as I've used "Safe" mode to delete "undeletable" files, I never thought of using it for this. I went into safe mode, ran EasyCleaner, and DELETED the file. Booted into normal mode, ran EasyCleaner, and deleted 725 files that weren't listed before! I'm leaving the Recycle Bin alone for a few days, to be safe. Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back