Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant load xp onto pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezzemm

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
AU
I am trying to reinstall xp onto a pc (a bit on the older side) but have hit a few obstacles.

Setup will get as far as reformat and start to load the setup files but at some stage then it will throw up a message that a windows file that can’t be copied correctly and another message that says that the setup file is not a valid xp system image and it may be a cd error.

You can do the usual like keep trying, skip etc and each time you try from scratch again it will come up with a different file but not necessarily reject the one previously causing the problem. If you continue setup becomes laborious and it might hang at different points - if you reboot it says that setup was not completed and tries to get back to the part where it starts the windows installation - and it might even get all the way through after a few tries.

On some occasions the attempted setup has produced the blue screen, or totally freezes or finds some other error message.

Then if its seemingly successful and the system starts, the o/s seems very a bit unstable and explorer etc might suddenly crash and Firefox can’t get off the ground - IE has a bit more luck. Some software won’t install easily as well, especially MacAfee 8.5. Some of these failures will cause the system to reboot.

I have tried a number of things like:
• a number of different set up cd's
• changed cd rom drives
• changed the hard drive
• removed any peripherals, cards etc
• reset the bios - including back to defaults
• tried windows 2000...

All to no avail, so any clues as I get the screwdriver out and open up the rubbish bin!

Thanks
Dzm

Thanks Ben - will look into that - it has 2 512 sticks so perhaps take one out at a time and see what happens.

Yes - It was a faulty ram stick - running better now on half a memory - wish I could say the same about me!
Thanks again.
:-D

I saw that one time on my PC but I just didn't want to believe it was bad memory. I chased my tail thinking it was a bad XP CD and then maybe a bad CD-ROM.

Had I run the memory test sooner, it would have helped my sanity that day.

Yep - or a red or two right now - chances are it will go better than before as i think his grumbles about the pc performace recently were obviously caused by the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back