Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't load win98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplot

Technical User
Mar 17, 2008
I have a older win98 computer and it now refuses to open, and the screen tells me there are files missing, and their names are:

himen.sys

dblbuff.sys

ifshlp.sys

I can not seem to get to the bios on this machine either. I do seem to be in dos but it does not acceptt any of my commands.

I do not have win 98 on a disk of any kind.

Appreciate any help.

jplot

Assuming that you have a floppy to work with on the machine in question you could download via another machine with a floppy a 98 boot disk from and use it to resolve some of the questions.

But if you are really trashed, and it sounds like you are, you will need either an OS CD or .cab files on the hard drive to be able to reload the OS.

Your machine is attempting to boot and is reading a config.sys file and attempting to load the files that are called there.

You could also try using the [F8] key to interrupt the auto loading function and possibly get into command mode.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back