Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant load GUI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan05

Technical User
Mar 3, 2002
AU
I'm a new user to linux and have tried installing red had 7 on a couple of different machines, the install seems to go through fairly well without any errors, but each time, after the install finishs and it reboots and all I get is the command line.

How do I install/configure X?

during the install, did it go through the configuration for the X window system? if you're uncertain, you can always just go ahead and try starting X by running "startx" at the prompt. if this doesn't work, X isn't configured. in that case, try running XF86Setup at the prompt.

forgot to mention -- redhat has its own X configuration tool, called Xconfigurator. so, at the prompt, you can type "Xconfigurator" to access the setup options.

Hi,

Some classes of redhat install don't install the gui by default. If thats the problem you are probably best off doing a custom 'upgrade' with the CD set and adding X that way.

If you have just defaulted to console (runlevel 3) but X starts via 'startx' you can set the default if wanted to runlevel 5 (gui). See -->
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back