Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't kill process

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitharmstrong

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB

Ok

very strange issue.

Ive two processes running on a redhat 5.1 server that simply wont go away. Ive ran kill -9, kil -HUP, Ive rebooted the server 3 times- they still remain

One is a cp process copying from a mounted disk to another. Ive even umounted these disks and removed any auto mounts.

Another is an updatedb command.

root 12141 12707 0 sep10 pts/2 cp - pR ******8

root 13291 13916 0 04:02 ? /usr/bin/updatedb

Its probably something daft im doing, however im pulling my hair out

thanks

Keith

What about if you reboot the server? Or would that cause problems? [ponder]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

updatedb is probably out of cron, so it is restarting. The other seems to have a terminal (pts/2). Trace down the process link to the parent process.

If kill -9 won't do it, I suspect some hung device. But first WHAT it does to see what the device could be.

Thanks all

Worked it out in the end

I did an uptime - the server had been up 3days....despite several reboots. So im guessing my remote terminal closed down, however the reboot didnt happen. So no processes cleared. The server console would not allow shutdowns, so i had no option but to power down. This cleared it. Problem looks like it was because of multpathing set up

thanks again

Keith

Yay! So it was just like windows - just needed a fresh start - reboot! [wink]
[thumbsup2]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back