Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4VEHUG

Technical User
Mar 5, 2004
GB
We have a network with a server running SBS2000, and a domain hosted by this server.

We have gained a 2nd server with Windows Server 2003 on it. I want to use this server to run ISA Server 2004.

I cannot add the server to the domain, as I would a normal workstation.

When I try it returns a dialog entitled Computer Name Changes. The content says "A domain controller for the domain mydomain could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly. If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information."

The troubleshooting info appears to be of little help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Sounds to me like the DNS is messed up on the new server. verify that the only DNS listed on the new server is the IP of the SBS box.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Am I correct in think I do this via the Local Area Connection in the TCP/IP - Properties dialog?

If so, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The network currently connects via a router, and by default the gateway and dns both point to the router's IP

When I do change the DNS (as above) I just lose Internet

Any more help appreciated

thanks

If you are loosing Internet connectivity it means that you have not configured your DNS server with the ISP DNS in the forwarders tab.

Your workstations will not be able to register with your local DNS if they are not configured with it. Furthermore they will likely have either delayed login times due to broadcasts to find the domain or they won't be able to log in at all.

On the NICs of all of your servers set the DNS to be the IP of your servers IP. On your workstations set them to get DNS via DHCP.

On the server, open the DNS snap in. Right click the server name in DNS snap-in. Click the forwarders tab. Enter the IP addresses of your ISPs DNS.

On the server. Open DHCP. Expand out your scope. Edit the scope options and set the DNS to be the IP of your server. Set the gateway to be your wireless router.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back