Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't join domain or workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOS52

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
DE
I have a Win2000 PC which is connected to our LAN. The connection the internet via TCP/IP is fuly functional. Whilst, I can see the Apple computers on our network via PCMACLAN, I have not been able to see any computer or printer using the Win2000 OS. When I go to Network Identification, the 'Network ID' box is in grey, preventing access. The 'Properties' box does open and whilst I can change the 'Computer name', the 'member of workgroup or Domain' options are also in grey and so also cannot be opened. Any suggestions how I can add this PC to one of the local domains ?

Are you logged in as admin?To join a domain you have to have rights to join.And to change settings in W2K you have to have the right rights.(admin)

Yes. There are two admin accounts and both give the same results.

Check the W2K boxes using ipconfig /all and ensure that you are receiving an address in the same subnet as the server.you can also ping the server to see if it is actually able to communicate with the server.If yes then set the preferred DNS to the address of the network DNS server.
If not try a static IP address with a default gateway pointing to the server along with of course the preferred DNS servers IP address.
The box being greyed out suggests that you are not logged in with full admin rights.

I am having a similar problem with a work colegue's laptop... the problem with his laptop i think is that he has it set up as a workgroup. A workgroup is meant for peer to peer, and this might be stuffing up the connection or something. i'm not sure. Maybe your having the same problem?

Forgive me if what i have suggested doesn't make sence or is just idiotic, but i thought it might help.

PCMACLAN, does it allow you to play games accross a network of mac's/pc's? does it need a server to work or what?
gohard.jpg

//phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back