Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install XP update

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker33

Instructor
Dec 15, 2001
US
MS' Windows Update site doesn't seem to recognize my OS -- I download the jet pack update, but it won't install: "the version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install." I have XP home on a compaq 5080US. bios and drivers are updated. IE browser through MSN (which also freezes often, but that's another story). Have services tweaked according to black viper's specs for 'safe' mode.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks.

...call Compaq,they are the ones who can help you!,...all company PC's are tweaked by the company who manufactures the PC,...hardware and software wise!...I build PC's so I know what is done from the get go!

Just a slight possibility you may have downloaded the wrong version as there are 4 to choose from.

ACC2002: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 4.0 Available in Download Center (Q282010)
The Microsoft Office XP and Microsoft Access 2002 Setup programs only update system files in certain situations and to a certain level. Therefore, after you install Access you may not have the latest version of the Microsoft Jet 4.0 database engine. To obtain the latest update for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 database engine, download and install Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 6 (SP6).
If you have installed Jet 4.0 SP6 for Access 2000 or another application that uses the Jet 4.0 engine, you do not have to reinstall Jet 4.0 SP6 for Access 2002.
There are four versions of the Jet 4.0 SP6 download. The first download is only for computers that are running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. The second download is only for computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000. The third download is only for computers that are running Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition. The fourth download is only for computers that are running Microsoft Windows XP. Each download contains updated versions of several .dll files that are included with Microsoft Access 2002, Microsoft Office XP Developer, Microsoft Visual Basic version 6.0 or later, and other Microsoft products that incorporate Microsoft Jet database engine 4.0.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q282010
ACC2002: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 4.0 Available in Download Center

Sorry, didn't mean jet pack (I have Works, not Office), but XP Service Pack. Download won't install, with the alert that I mentioned before. Friend suggested I uninstall Win Update and then try. Another suggested disabling the firewall, which seems a bit drastic and not really a fix for the problem. As for the Compaq people -- from repeated personal experience I've learned that they're rarely helpful, with scripted responses that have nothing to do with the questions.

I wonder if some of my problems are related to MSN somehow, which seems to be the spawn of Satan, but I can't get rid of it quite yet for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back