Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant install VMWare Tool inside SUSE 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chong67

Programmer
Oct 11, 2005
US
I am very new to Linux of any kind.

I am trying to install the VMWare Tool in SUSE 9.3.

I am trying to get to this part:

In an X terminal, as root(su -), configure VMWare Tools
vmware-config-tools.pl

OK, I get this below ...

Setup is unable to find "gcc" in your machine. Would you like to specify the location of this program by hand?

I dont know what else to do.

Is there any easier to install VMWare Tool in Linux?

No, when you are installing VMWare Tools in linux, they must be compiled on the OS that you are using them on.

You can try a couple of things. Use which to find gcc, 'which gcc' but it seems unlikely that it will find gcc, since which only searches your path, and I am sure that the VMWare script is already doing so. You could also try 'locate gcc |grep bin/' to see if you can find a copy of gcc anywhere on your machine where binaries are installed.

Do you know if you installed the "development" packages when you installed SuSE? If not, you need to do that first.

You may run into additional problems with kernel object files, but I believe that this only occurs when you are running VMWare from SuSE, not running SuSE in a VM.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back