Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant Install System Managememnt on a 2k workstatation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
I am using the Exchange 2k cd choosing custom By Microsoft Excahange 2000 then Install by the Microsoft Excahange system management tools line. I have IIS installed on the machine with Common Files, IIS snapin, SMTP service, components checked. I have latest service packs on 2k and wOffice XP with all service packs installed. I have adminpak.msi installed from the win2k CD.

It gets about all the way done and I get the following error.

Setup failed while installing the sub-component Exchange Magaement Snap-ins with error code 0xC103798A (Please consult the installation logs for a detailed description.) You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again.

I have the setup log and the last few lines are this

[16:13:30] Entering CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErrorInSetup
[16:13:30] Entering CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErrorInSetup
[16:13:30] Leaving CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErrorInSetup
[16:13:30] Leaving CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErrorInSetup
[16:13:30] CBaseComponent::ScSetup (K:\admin\src\udog\setupbase\basecomp\basecomp.cxx:1099)
Error code 0XC103798A (31114): An internal component has failed.
[16:13:30] Leaving CBaseComponent::ScSetup
[16:13:30] CComExchSetupComponent::Install (K:\admin\src\udog\BO\comboifaces.cxx:694)
Error code 0XC103798A (31114): An internal component has failed.
[16:13:30] Entering CCompRoot::ScPostSetup
[16:13:30] Entering ScIsDomainPrepped
[16:13:30] Checking whether the domain "/dc=local/dc=taylormadefarm" is DomainPrepped
[16:13:30] Looking for server groups
[16:13:30] Server groups found
[16:13:30] Looking for domain proxy container
[16:13:30] Domain proxy container found -- checking DomainPrep version
[16:13:30] Installed DomainPrep version is 4406; current version is 4406
[16:13:30] This domain is DomainPrepped
[16:13:30] Leaving ScIsDomainPrepped
[16:13:30] Setup completed
[16:13:30] Leaving CCompRoot::ScPostSetup
[16:13:32] This component is set to ignore
[16:13:32] We always ask to show the page for this component in this mode - but Cartman should ignore it
[16:13:33] This component is set to ignore
[16:13:33] We always ask to show the page for this component in this mode - but Cartman should ignore it
[16:13:43] CComBOIFacesFactory::QueryInterface (K:\admin\src\udog\BO\bofactory.cxx:52)
Error code 0X80004002 (16386): No interface.

It is 196K log file.If you want it all just post and I will make it available at a web address.

Thank You

Michael

Oh strike that! I don't think you can install Exchange Manager on a Workstation.

I have ESM installed on four windows 2000 pro PC's, so that is not the problem.
Also, (assuming you already have a working exchange server)
you must already have run Forestprep and Domainprep - these will not affect the workstation as the AD schema is stored on DC's not workstations.

Sorry I can't answer the questionbut at least this clears up some issues.

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

Exchange server has been up and runnin for a year. I have a terminal in my office for it but was looking at getting all the tools on my own machine. It was preped.

Also. I installed the adminpak on my machine and I got none of the tabs for the exchange server. BUT after I did do the aborted install of exchange the tabs do show up. What I am not getting is the startmenu directory: microsoft exchange. the install gets as far as putting in a directory for it but it is empty. SO some MMC snapins installed and work including exchange message tracking and exchange system. But program shortcuts did not. It also seems that the programfiles\exchsrvr directory is fully populated. So not sure where the abort happened or what was effected.

Thanks
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back