Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Install Server 2003 on DL580 - Please HELP!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2005
US
Hi,

I just got a Compaq DL580 and having a hard time installing Windows Server 2003 on it. When I turned the server on, I went into the system config and set the logical drive using all the drives on the server (4 x 9.1GB - RAID 5). I then tried to install Server 2003 and everything looks good while installation in Blue screen. Then the server reboots so that it can go into the GUI install but it boots back into the blue install screen.

I also tried to use SmartStart 5.5 but it seemed to be a GUI version of the system config that I used to create the logical drive. I tried to install server 2003 and had the same problem.

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong or what eles I need to do? Could some one please help me out?

Thanks!

Sounds like a stupid answer, but when your server reboots, ensure that it is not booting off the CD-ROM again, therefore starting the setup procedure again. Just remove it whilst the server reboots, then put it back into the drive again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Who is General Failure and what is he doing on my computer?"

I tried to do that once last night and got a message stating there is no OS. So I put the CD back in and kept trying to install server 2003.

Is it because I'm using SmartStart 5.5? Should I use SmartStart 7.40? What is an Assisted installation? What is a manual installation? I'm soo confused... I would like to get some help from you experts out there, so that I can get this server going.

Thanks!!!

You should always use the version of SmartStart that was shipped with the server and according to the HP Website, the DL580 (even the G1) supports SmartStart v7.40 so I would try that version and see how far you get.

The link below is to the Proliant DL580 pages on the HP website so check the Drivers and Software pages, the Troubleshoot a Problem pages, and the Setup Install and Configure pages for potential issues.

"Who is General Failure and what is he doing on my computer?"

Thanks for the link. I'll see what I can find there.

Any other tips would help. Thanks!

I got it to work...

I ran the erase utility in the SmartStart 5.5 CD and gave it a fresh start. I took my time and went through everything carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back