Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Install PS Printer Driver from Pagemaker disk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundhog1

Technical User
Feb 16, 2004
US
Right now, I have an HP post script printer installed as my adobe printer. I think I need to install the adobe ps printer or the distiller driver?

I have a ps driver on my install disk and have tried to install the driver 3 different ways with no luck. Below are a description of my 3 attempts. Is there a special adobe ps driver for XP pro?

If I just start up the original Pagemaker 6.5 install disk, one of the menu options is to click on install ps driver 4.1.1 (for win 95). If I click on it, I get the error message "procedure entry point SUnPapLS_IP_EPB_32 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". Then I get an out of memory message after the first message.

If I put in my Pagemaker 6.5 CD and tried installing a new driver using windows add printer function, and it says "specified location does not contain info about your hardware" This is in the "postscript driver/PSDvr411/setup.inf" location.

If I try start, run, D:\PSDRIVER\PSDVR411\SETUP.EXE
It says it refers to a location that is unavailable. could be on hard drive or network. Check to make sure...disk inserted...." I use browse to find the file so the computer found the .inf file...but cant see it when i run it.

I am running XP pro, maybe that is the problem.

Groundhog1

THanks viol8ion,

On the download page they also mention that I need a PPD (postscript printer description) for the actual printer I have as my PS printer (On the adobe download page, they have PPDs for lots of manufacturers.). I thought I would end up with Adobe or distiller listed as my printer? If I need a PPD, which do I choose? I really do not have a PS printer, but need one to do PDF outputs. My real printers are an HP laserjet 5L and an HP inkjet 5550.

So when I pull down my menu to print from Pagemaker, I have my real printer listed. But when I pull down the file, printer styles menu and look at the acrobat printer, I should see... adobe PS printer or Distiller? I am confused. Right now I have my real printer under the print menu and some random HP PS printer that seemed to work, under files, printer styles, acrobat.

groundhog1

Select a PostScript printer driver and a PostScript Printer Description file like the AGFA-ProSet 9400 v52.3. Both of these are available on the Windows CD-ROM or on the PageMaker CD-ROM. Just follow the instructions to install using Windows > Start > Settings > Printers > Add printer.

After that, they should appear in the printer selection. Actually, you can use any printer driver and PPD obtainable from the mfg site, you don't need to have the printer actually installed.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks,

I went to the website and downloaded the Adobe PS printer driver and the PPD for the driver. I was able to install the new driver and PPD. Yay!

So now when I pull down the file, print menu. I see the hplaserjet 5L as my real printer. When I pull down file, printer styles, acrobat. I see Acrobat Distiller on FILE.

But... my original problem remains.... I have
Good Screen Resolution, Bad PDF ouptut Resolution.
I have a previous post on this. When I look at my Pagemaker 6.5.2 images on screen, they have acceptable resolution, but when I export to pdf, the resolution drops. Why can't I get as resolution as good as the graphics in the original document?

Eggles mentioned that I need to re-scan one of the docs at 1200dpi, which is a black and white schematic diagram.

Another one that sucks is the jpg photo that I took with my camera. It's a digital with 2Mega pixels.

groundhog1

Here are some excertpts from the adobe website on creating PDF:

Stage1: First, "print" a PostScript file by going to File>Print. Select a PostScript printer & PPD like a Linotronic or select Distiller as your printer.

In PageMaker’s Print dialog, click on the Options button, and check "Write PostScript to File." Select the "Normal" radio button. Set both Type 1 and TrueType fonts to download. As always, set the Send TIF/Images option to Normal and NOT Optimized. Make other settings elsewhere in the print dialog as desired, such as "paper" size, crop marks, separations, etc.

You’ll see the Print button has now become a Save button. Click Save.

Stage 2: Launch Acrobat Distiller.

Good practice in general is to check your Job Options prior to distilling, because you’ll need to change these depending on if your PDF is destined for high-end output or just web viewing - but pay special attention to the compression and downsampling options. These will have a very noticeable effect on image quality vs file size.

Navigate to the PostScript file you created and open it. Your PDF will be created, and, provided your PM document was clean to begin with (graphics Placed and not Pasted, EPS and TIF graphics only, properly managed fonts, etc) you should have a good PDF.

Use these settings in job options of acrobat:

General tab: Default resolution 2400 dpi

Compression tab: Uncheck ALL downsample and compression options for images.

Font Embedding tab: Check "Embed All Fonts."
Check Subset, and set to 99%.
Remove anything that might be in the Never Embed list.

Advanced tab: Be sure Convert CMYK to RGB is Unchecked.

Of course, all of this is assuming you began with adequate images. If your image is a JPG at 72ppi, then nothing you do will make it look good when printing. Your screen will display the image at 72dpi or so, and it will look great, but you need 150ppi minimum for inkjet printing, and 200ppi or higher for lazer printer, 300ppi for printing professionally... there is a little room to play with these numbers, but don't deviate too much.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU!
THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU!
THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! Viol8ion!

THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! Eggles!
THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! BigJohnD!

It is very nice of you to help so many people. I see many posts from you here. You have made my day!

For those with the same problem, also see the post with the name like..
"Good Screen, Bad PDF resolution.."

Just marking this for my records.

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Yep, I like this post too, keeping it in my threads.

Getting a thing about blues and purples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back