Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

parallon

MIS
Dec 27, 2002
US
Has anyone ever had the situation where you go to install an application, and the only thing that it does is set up the folder structure with no files? The installation program never shows the message "Installing ### in c:\program files\...". I have administration rights on this computer, and it seems like this is the only program that won't install here. It does, however, install on other PCs.

Thanks in advance,

Parallon

"I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

What program is this? It is possible that you may have corrupt permissions in the registry based on when you created the account you are using. Try logging in with the admin account itself and restart the installation. It is possible that you do not have the appropriate permissions in the registry for the user account that you are logging in with.

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

It is the Sony Picture Package. I am trying to get video off of a CamCorder.

To be honest with you, they had upgraded the server a few weeks ago, and it seems that every time they do that, we always have to reconnect to the domain (same domain name), which in turn creates a new profile on the computer. It is a real pain because we always have to save our files and transfer them to the new profile. Well, anyway, I decided to use the XP 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizzard', which still had a few flaws. Is it possible that had anything to do with it? How would I check? BTW, I am still running SP1.

Thanks for your time,

Parallon

"I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

So are you saying that the installation program doesn't run? Or does it look like it is installing and just creates blank folders? Do you have local admin access on your XP machine?

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

Correct, I go through the InstallShield process, and when I click on 'Install', the screen minimizes, and within about two seconds, the tab on the task bar disappears. Then nothing. I do have local admin rights, and I have logged in as other users on this pc that have admin rights, and nothing. I am trying to shut down the McAfee Virus protection to see if that will help, but it won't allow me to stop that process.

Parallon

-Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back