Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Install Norton Antivirus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel30

Programmer
Mar 1, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have had a virus quite recently and I uninstalled norton Then when I tried to clcik on the install button the the sand timer icon shows then it just stops can't even opebn the setup exe. I have tried everything I can think of I have cleaned the regestry and still no joy. Thanks Rachel

Have you eliminated the virus? Do you know which virus it was/is?
What version of Norton?
This 'Install' button, is it off the CD, a download, a network server?

Need more info.

Hi,

I don't know what virus it was I have tried installing it from disc and from download it's 2005. I think I had a few viruses. I have a thing called Mixer.exe that is running in the process. and SNDSrvc.exeI can't think what looks dogies. Is there something I could do in the registry with startup files so that nothing runs on startup and then try and install it. I have deleted all entries for norton and samtec in the registry and still no joy. Thanks Rachel

Also I am not sure if I elimated the virus. I did use house call a free online scan and that found nothing. Thanks

Symantec also has an free online scanner you might try. On their homepage, click Symantec Security Check.

When you cleaned your registry, did you follow Symantec's proceedure or did you just search for norton and symantec? If you did not follow their proceedure, you did not get all entries removed from the registry. Symantec uses these godawful numerical registry keys.

The two processes you mention may be related to your sound card, or they may be virus.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and run the install from there?

What version of windows are you running? Home or Pro?

Hi,

I am running windows XP when I tried to install the software in safe mode Norton gave me a message saying I can't install the sofware in safe mode restart and try again. how do I install the software in safe maode. I used msconfig and went to boot and clicked on safe mode I also tried F8 and that would not allow me to install the software. Thanks Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back