Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
I had 2 NICs in my computer to enable internet sharing (cable modem). But they were both the same model so it got confusing. So i bought a different brand NIC. ACtually I have a few (3com, Linksys, and a Netgear). I've tried installing each one of these cards but now when my computer boots up and recognizes the new hardware, it freezes when it tries update the informational driver database. When i check it out (Ctrl+alt+del), it says it is not responding. How could this have happened since I've already installed 2 NICs in this computer?

This is a new problem and I haven't really done much with this computer. I installed Partition Magic and Boot Magic and changed my EXPLORER.EXE file (to change the text on the start button).

Any help???

Probably would clean everything out of networking as a first step. If it still failed I would run regclean or equivalent. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Even though NIC's are supposed to be plug and play, if you get them both assigned to the same IRQ, all sorts of nonsense can occur. It is worth doing what Ed suggests, then installing one NIC at a time. Strangely, what slot it is in can effect what IRQ is assigned, so you may have to shuffle cards around, if this is the problem. You might also consider turning off in Bios any ports, etc that you don't need to free up additional resources.

Hope this helps

Remove all NIC's from your computer.
Boot to safe mode.
Remove all NIC's from device manager.
Remove all networking components.
Restart, shutdown.
Put in ONE NIC.
Restart, install.
Shutdown.
Put in the second NIC.
Restart, install. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Comtech, how confident are you in your solution? As is it now, i've got one NIC in my computer which lets me play internet games all day long on my cable modem. If i take it out, and remove all NICs from device manager etc, and try to put it back in and it just freezes again while trying to update informational databases, i can no longer play my games!!

If you have one in, and working correctly, boot to safe mode, and remove ALL NIC's from device manager, except the working one.
The only problem arises when devices try to share resources.
To avoid this, go into BIOS setup, and set "PnP OS Installed" to NO, set "Reset configuration data" to YES (enable), and DISable com 2.
Restart, shutdown, put the second NIC in, and restart. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I had a similar problem too. I found it was an older device card(my old Sound blaster) being VERY cranky about the IRQ it was assigned ... I set the PnP portion in my bios to exclude this particular IRQ, and everything worked very well afterwards. Of course, as it happens, I sold the sound card 2 weeks later and upgraded ... always the way of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back