Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install network protocols or services

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
Am trying to add a network protocol but when I click on the Install button, I get this error:

Could not add the requested component. The error is: The specified path does not contain any applicable device INFs.

I get this same message when I try to add a service or client, too. Nothing has changed except for a recent SP2 upgrade.

Any clues??? (Yes, the INF files are in the INF folder...)

Thanks...

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Put your system disc in, close any windows it load. Go to start, run, type cmd and hit enter. Now type sfc/scannow and let it scan. When it finishes restart and give the network protocol a try again. Let us know the results

elec....,
just a reminder, (you may already know this)typing run /cmd produces different behavior than starting command prompt from "start/programs/accessories/command prompt in windows-xp-home.
cmd from run, seems not to be able to handle long file/folder names and files with space(s) in file/folder name.
example:
for program files, you must type progra~1.
putting "program files" results in error.

but
command prompt from programs/accessories, handles both progra~1 and "program files" properly.

Actually it should matter, right click on your command on the start menu, if you notice its a shortcut that is going to "cmd.exe" which is the same thing you open at run. So if your having programs id say its your end.

i know they point to the same target, but they behave differently, at lease in xp-home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back