Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install internet explorer 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnix

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
I've been trying to install internet explorer 6.0 from difference sources and none of them complete the installation. They quit and tell me they haven't installed the web browser, exception pack and several other modules. I'm currently runnning ie 5.5 under Windows ME. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
jnix

Have you ensured that you've gone out to the Windows Update Site and installed all critical updates for your system? When you go out there, leave IE 6 unchecked (although it's listed as critical) and install every other critical update first. Reboot, go back to the site, then install IE 6.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here: faq219-2884

cdoog:

That didn't work. The install gets about 99% through and then quits saying it hasn't been installed properly. Is there a way to uninstall i.e. 6.0 entirely and then try to install it again?
thanks,
jnix

Well the next thing I would try to do is repair IE 5.5. Perhaps something is wrong with it.

1) Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Progs
2) Select the IE entry (looks something like Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 and Internet Tools)
3) Click the Add/Remove button
4) On the next screen, choose Repair

Reboot and once again try to install IE 6 from the Windows site. If that still doesn't work, search the net for a cleaner tool that will remove IE completely from Windows. I know there are quite a few out there that exist (I've never had to actually use one).

I had the same problem. The solution is to install ie5.5 sp2 before installing ie6.

Hope this helps,
zed

i had a similar problem
i installet netscape which i dont like and completly uninstalled internet explorer rebooted and re installed explorer then when it was running again i uninstalled netscape

For my case, I have already installed IE5.5 SP2 and the latest critical updates except IE6. But I still can't install IE6...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back