Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install any updates! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello

I've got three identical term servers with win2k SP4. My problem is: On one of them, I can't install any updates now. When i go to windows update and try installing any of the critical updates, they fail. When I try installing updates directly from one of my M$ contacts, it fails saying:

"You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Please contact your system administrator."

Well, first of all, I am the system admin, and I am logged in as a local admin/domain admin.

I've rebooted numerous times, but still no luck. Also, there isn't any logs in the Event Log.

Any ideas?
snoots

Try creating another user with admin rights and try that!

I don't remember the document ID but I believe it had something to do with Direct X. It suggested emptying your temp internet files deleting a couple of files and reinstalling Direct X. I can't remember which files it said to delete but you can try the rest.

Thanks, but these are just bare bone terminal servers for your everyday end user.. I don't believe DirectX has been modified AT ALL from anywhere where but the service packs or anything..

Anyway, i went through and deleted ALL my temp files everywhere.. same thing.

This sucks

well you can try deleting the certificates from microsoft and then try reloading the update page. they should prompt you again whether you trust them or not.
internet options, content, certificates

got this from an article:

You might also be able to resolve this issue by deleting all of the content in:

Program Files\Windowsupdate

and

Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4 (except for the iuhist.xml file located in Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4)!!!

It is also worth noting that the new Active X control, used by V4 of Windows Update, collects patch information and sends/receives that information over port 443, instead of port 80 as in the past...

I don't have a \program files\windowsupdate folder in there? Is that what you meant to type?

Ok.. Tried the info on the link Tangostar provided.. changed some of the settings in the security settings of IE. Still no go.

If you can remember the directx thing, please, give me whatever you can, i'll try it!

Also, remember that this machine is doing this even when i don't use the Windows Update web site. I had a M$ dude send me a Hotfix that is suppose to solve term serv session hang issues. I can't even get that to install! It keeps giving me the:

"You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Please contact your system administrator."

thanks
snoots

wtf, I just tried downloading an update that wasn't listed as a critical update and it worked!

The critical updates still don't work though..

have you tried installing from the console or are you only doing this through an open session?

Yep, tried it at the console.. tried it as three different domain admins now too.

Also, this machine is in the same OU and getting the same policies as the other two identical machines..

how about the machine admin, not the domain admin. just grasping at straws now.

and you're using the change user /install command.
is this strictly terminal services or is there additional software like citrix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back