Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install 7800GTX SLI on ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

skildner

MIS
Sep 10, 2003
US
I am trying to install a second 7800GTX 256mb on my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and it just won't work. The computer starts up and windows reads the second card and looks as if it is installing the card, but it just hangs on the install and the second card is never installed. Everything still works fine but the "installation icon" just sits in my system tray. I looked on Asus website, but couldnt find anything that addresses my problem. I have more than enough power (Seasonic 600W). At first the red light on the board went on because I didnt plug in the auxillary power. Even after I pluuged that in and the light turned green it still does the same thing. I have also tested with and without the SLI bridge. This mobo does not use a card to switch between single card and SLI so I don't know what to do from here. Please Help.

Thanx

I just want to add that when I say everything works fine I mean that everything else works fine but the second video card does not. I have also tried switching cards between slots with the same results.

skildner
Have you got totally seperate PCI-e power leads to each card?
Are you sure you have all the additional power connectors hooked up to the motherboard? P4/P8/molex? etc
I've worked on plenty of "card type" SLI motherboards, obviously switching between modes.
Whilst I realise this board does away with this feature is it auto sensing? or is there a bios adjustment for SLI mode.
Read your manual.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thaks for the response. I have checked and double checked to make sure that there is enough power. The motherboard automatically checks for enough power and the red light will turn if there is not enough power. Also I don't think it is a hardware issue because the video card itself turns on and the fan spins normally. Windows even reads that there is a new card installed but just hangs during the installation. I also checked the bios settings for SLI and changed them back and forth and still no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back