Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't initialize emapi. RC=64, failure VPNservice(64)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiazmalik

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2004
US
I encountered the following error message today on a Windows XP machine running the Symantec VPN Client v7.

Can't initialize emapi. RC=64, failure VPNservice(64)

Can someone tell me how to fix it...

Thanks

I have never had any success getting the VPN Client version 7.0 to work on XP. It works with 98 and 2000, but not XP.

My guess is that XP by default has services or ports shut down that the VPN needs. I have mostly 98 in my office, so I haven't spent much time trying to figure out the cause or a way around it.

I intalled the VPN client about 3 months ago. It had been working fine until yesterday. I tried to install it on my laptop that had windows me installed on it. I am getting the same message on it. The VPN client was working fine on XP machine until I installed it on my laptop. The labtop was on my home network just like my XP machine. I think Somehow it corrupted the XP installation becuase XP machine was fine before.

Diable the XP firewall and see if the same problem occurs. If it does not, then I would allow that port in XP firewall to communicate. good Luck

Checkout the following KB: 2001120710593854 from the Symantec support site. Below is a cut and paste of the KB.

Error: "Can't initialize Emapi"

Situation:
When you attempt to launch RaptorMobile, you see the error message "Can't initialize Emapi".

Solution:
This error can be caused by one of several different problems. Before contacting technical support, check for one or more of the following known causes.

* Ensure that the computer does not have a personal firewall installed. If it does, remove it (don't just disable it), and relaunch RaptorMobile.
* If the Microsoft Proxy Client is installed, uninstall it.
* If there is a space in the host name field on the DNS tab of the TCP/IP properties, remove it.
NOTE: This also applies to spaces after the host name. The best way to determine if there is a space in the name is to place the cursor in the host name field and press the End key. If there is a space, it appears between the last character and the cursor.
* Ensure that an older version of AOL, such as 5.0, is not installed.
* Confirm that the user is waiting a sufficient amount of time (letting the hourglass disappear after launching RaptorMobile) before clicking "OK" (this is after entering the username and password).

If none of the previous conditions apply, uninstall Raptor Mobile and delete the program folders. Reinstall the software, making sure that you are using the latest version. For example, RaptorMobile 6.5.2 on Windows Me displays this error message.

If the previous items fail to resolve the problem, you may have an incompatible network card. To troubleshoot this possibility, install a different network card, completely remove RaptorMobile (including its folders), and reinstall the software.

tips on fixing any problem in the world
1. Check google / google-groups
2. check the vendor support page
3. get a book on the topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back