Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Initialize Com Port 1 HELP!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2001
US
We have a compaq 933MHz computer running Win98 Second Edition. We use the program Smart Label that prints to a Seiko printer that is attached to COM1. There are no conflicts with this device. This is the only external device on the machine. The machine does not have a modem. There is no other software that uses the COM ports at all installed on the machine. At least once a week, when she tries to send a label to print from the Smart Label software to the Seiko printer, she will get the message:

"Can't initialize com port 1"

If she restarts the machine, it works fine. The only other programs she may be running at the same time when she gets the message is Word Perfect and Groupwise (our email program). Neither of these programs use COM ports at all.

I have reinstalled the port a few times and because you need to reboot the computer after you remove the "old" com ports, after you reinstall the ports, the printer works.

I have changed the cable to the printer, I have reinstalled the Smart Label software, I have recreated the printer, I have also reinstalled the ports.

My next step is to swap label printers with another one we have to see if it's the printer.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem?

You know, this is rather interesting. I was just looking at my boss's Seiko 103, remembering what I had to do to get it working and thinking 'I wonder if anyone else needs that solution...'

And here you are.

The problem is that Seiko insists on installing a custom COM port VxD, MRTRATE.VXD, which is (most probably) causing your problem. I really, really really wish they didn't, as it is completely unnecessary - the printer works perfectly without it.

Start up RegEdit and surf down to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

and look for the key

mrtRate

and click on it to highlight it. Click the Registry Menu at the top, click Export Registry File, and then enter

mrtRate

as the name of the file and click OK. We are creating a backup in case you ever wish to restore the setting.

Now click on mrtRate in the right RegEdit window again and hit Delete. Confirm the deletion, close Regedit and reboot. When Windows restarts confirm, in the Seiko printer's Details tab of its Properties page, that it is using the correct COM port - if not, change the setting.

The printer should work with no problems. If not let me know. Your mileage may vary...

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 8200 with OS of Windows XP. I could not get my Seiko Smart Label Printer 220 to work on the COM1 port. I had tried EVERYTHING (including calling Seiko and Dell tech support, installing updated software, updated BIOS, etc., etc.

I followed the instructions, starting up RegEdit, etc. and now it works!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you - this was driving me crazy.

Too bad the folks at Seiko have not yet fixed this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back