Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't import from Word XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2002
US
I can't import Rich Text Format files from Word XP into Quark 4.1. Does anyone have any solutions that won't cost me any cash?

Why can't you do it? What errors do you get?

In XP, check if you have fast save turned on - turn it off. Get the latest Word filter from quark.com too.

I've been bugging Quark about this for a while, and they seem quite unwilling to help me (us) with the problem. They blame Microsoft for the crashes, while I think it is quite obvious that it is the Quark Software that parses the Word files that causes the crashes. They could at least replace the crashes with a "Not compatible"-alert of some kind.

Anyway: Only workaround I know of is saving your documents as .rtf's when working in Word XP.

You could try Quark Support, but they seem to dislike odd europeans like myself.

It doesn't crash, it just won't open the RTF file saved in Word XP. I'm not real happy about it since I just bought 6 copies of Quark, and I can't seem to get this issue resolved. The good thing is that I only have to support one machine with XP, but as time goes on, that number will increase. The Quark Website is pretty useless INHO....

Have you tried saving the Word Documents as an earlier version of Word maybe. I know in the long run this may not be the answer. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

I have turned Fast Save off in Word, and that doesn't help. I am getting this error message:

The RTF reader encountered an error (error #0). [106]

Does this help anyone?

Does anyone think the latest Word Filter would solve this problem? If so, does anyone have a link to it?

Hi Fanatic,

The answer to your problem might lie in the future release of QuarkXPress but as of now i'm pretty sure that QuarkXPress does not support MS Word XP/2001, It supports MS Word 6-2000.
You could check out the following website for a third party XTension if any :

Hope this helps.

try saving in the versions ur XTension can import/understand.

maybe that help!
EL236

~*The Art of Communication*~

Well fanatic, I just came across a good site u may like to visit. They have their demo version available and you may try them.look for the QXPort filter here :

Also the only workaround I think of is that the file can be down saved to a version that is supported by a MS Word filter in QuarkXPress (Such as Word 6\95 or Word 8). What MS Word filter are you currently using with QuarkXPress? If you have the MS Word 6 filter, try saving the text in MS Word 6 format from MS Word XP and then import into QuarkXPress.

EL236

~*The Art of Communication*~

Well, you may also try downsaving your Word files into a version that is supported by your QuarkXPress Applicaiton.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
TechLeo

~" Outline your Ideas "~

We tried Word XP saving variety of Word formats with a variety of Quark import filters, and found the best match (for us, involving Quark on Mac as well as Win) to be saving Word files as version 6.0/95, and using the MS Word 6-7 filter dated 01/07/1999. Hope this helps,
-- Doug Bevins, Record-Journal, Meriden, Conn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back