Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant import DHCP database into another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasisnt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
Im trying to import a DHCP database to our new DHCP server and a backup server. So server1 is the old server, server2 is the new DHCP server and server3 is going to be a backup server that will have the database but wont be running unless needed.

They are all Windows 2003 domain controllers. Ive backed it up and restored it to the new DHCP server fine (server2). When I try and restore it to the backup server (server3) it says "The database was not restored correctly. No changes were made." In the Event Viewer I get Event ID errors 1019, 1060, 1061 & 1062 with DhcpServer as the source.

I checked the Event IDs online and everything looks fine. The only thing that I don't know for sure is under the DHCP properties, Advanced tab and then Credentials button it asks or a name and password. I put the domain admin credentials there.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

That didnt work but I decided to use a different server for the backup. I dont get any errors when doing the restore but the scopes dont show up either. What am I missing?

This should be all you need to do.

net stop dhcpserver

cd windows\system32\dhcp

jetpack dhcp.mdb tmp.mdb

net start dhcpserver

Right DHCP Server1 click Backup

Optional - Set conflict detection to 1 [just incase any addressess where given out after your backup was done]

Now copy c:\windows\system32\dhcp\backup [if this is your backup folder]
Now UNC to \\server2\c$\Temp and paste [DO NOT copy to \\server2\c$\windows\system32\dhcp\]
Now goto [physically]server2 or mstsc into it
Open dhcp
Right server2 click and restore and select your c:\temp\backup

I had noticed a couple of the IP addresses in the scope options were for the old server that we are going to retire so I changed them and then backed it up again. Then when I tried to import the database into the new server it worked this time. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back